Growing up fishing - Page 2
register with talk angling fishing chat
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Talk Angling User Site Life Member
    Blog Entries

I really can't remember, just fell into it I suppose when I was a kid.
    Can't believe in any way I would have better things to do now. That's my age I'll bet.
    I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
    He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Talk Angling User Small Fish

Clapham Common ponds for me about 8 years old catching gudgeon on an old tank aerial rod with bent safety pins for eyes ,,,with a woolworths reel n tackle ,arrrh happy days fond memory's thanks for the memories head jog oneabung lol

Trusted Member Senior Member

Millers park pond in Shirley, Croydon when I was about 10 years old and going into me teens catching roach upto about 1 lb and small wild carp on bread paste,
    Then pine woods in Shirley in the grounds of a scout camp that actually backed onto the back of Ronnie Corbett's house catching tench and perch on small red worms.

Then onto the brick pits at Woodside, Croydon, south Norwood lake, crystal palace park lake, keston ponds catching Jack pike on float fished lob worm in me teens.

My first ever river was when I was about 14 years old and was on the lovely little Eden at Edenbridge which is where I caught my first ever chub of about 3lb, at the time this was a normal size for chub for the Eden but nowadays I've got very good and accurate reports from when I was in the chub study group that these fish are just shy of 7 lb now, seriously big chub for such a small little river,

I've fish a club water up on the lea valley for some 28 years for the huge chub potential that if has but still love the little Eden just as much, probably because of the nostalgia and memories it's brought to me over the years

Talk Angling User Double Ton martin56's Avatar

My earliest memory was our Dad taking my older brother & I to Tadcaster (river Wharfe, Yorkshire) on the service bus from Vicar Lane in Leeds.

I'd have been 5 or 6 at the time. I used??? a wooden centrepin with a bit of line on it with a solid glass 7 foot rod (I still have the top section for that)

No one had the money in the day for luxuries such as a Thermos flasks then, so Dad took a little Meths stove & travel kettle, milk in a medicine bottle & sugar (no tea bags then, so also loose tea & a strainer) Water was boiled from the river!!!

Don't think I fished very much that day & messed about throwing rod rests like a spear in the field.

Don't think any of us caught either - probably due to the unwanted BANK ACTIVITY caused by me!! lol.

Dad was a very good Angler though, but would have spent most of the day untangling us kids lines. My brother would have been about 10 or 11??

We are now 60 & 65, & Dad passed 30 years ago at 62.

To this day, I still look up to the sky when I miss a bite & say " TEN MINUTES TA' LATE LAD", like he used to say to me on our later more serious sessions.
    Last edited by martin56; 8th April 2017 at 02:54 AM.
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B]

Talk Angling User Double Ton martin56's Avatar

To this day, I still look up to the sky when I miss a bite & say " TEN MINUTES TA' LATE LAD", like he used to say to me on our later more serious sessions.

That was when he just used to take me - on his HONDA 90. Two fishing boxes & 2 holdalls!! Then a bit later in a Reliant Robin.

Still miss him - a real Man's Man & the original Gentleman.
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B]

Talk Angling User Registered member

Stuart just found this and its brought back memories as I grew up in New Addington on 60s so we would cycle to Millers pond couldn't afford fishing gear though and a neighbour actually took me fishing in Edenbridge although I never caught anything on his tackle.
    Know Ronnie Corbetts house top pf Spout Hill but never knew about the pond.
    Did you also fish at Keston !

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling BIG COL's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hondated View Post
    Stuart just found this and its brought back memories as I grew up in New Addington on 60s so we would cycle to Millers pond couldn't afford fishing gear though and a neighbour actually took me fishing in Edenbridge although I never caught anything on his tackle.
    Know Ronnie Corbetts house top pf Spout Hill but never knew about the pond.
    Did you also fish at Keston !
    Don't think Stuart is on here any more !
    Colin

Thanks Colin just hope he is ok then Ted

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling lambrettasx200's Avatar

I'm now seventy and live down South but always remember riding my bike from Middlesbrough to Yarm and Leven to fish the Tees and I would have been About 9 years old and learned my fishing on a wonderful river. Then at 10 I won the Borough councils annual match at Albert Park and received a tackle voucher for 7 shillings and sixpence which I spent on a super reel a Mitchell Cap which was so much better than my Intrepid. Fishing back then was wonderful or am I looking with rose tinted glasses. Came down South when I was 15 with my family and my experience on the Tees served me well on the Thames
    John

Nice story John and being 66 I don't think we look back with rose tinted glasses because little did we know then times were better. Jobs were plentiful no zero hours contracts as the Dockers had managed to do away with a similar contract of waiting to be chosen for a days work outside the dock gates and there was far less traffic.
    And by my time I would of been talking sitting astride my motorbike to you on your SX200. Great looking scooter as well.